Carbon monoxide (CO) is a byproduct from burning fossil fuels, a process that is common in several home power tools and appliances including anything that burns natural gas. CO is a tasteless, odorless, gas that can cause health issues even at low levels of emission.
That’s why, for example, you should never start your car or lawn mower with the garage door closed. Other sources of CO emissions include furnaces, boilers, water heaters, gas or wood burning fireplaces, space heaters, BBQ’s, electric generators, gas ranges and ovens, and electric ovens when self-cleaning.
How CO Enters Your Home
Normally the toxic gases from fuel combustion are expelled from the home, but processes called the “stack effect” and “backdraft” can trap them inside. The stack effect occurs when faulty appliances create a negative air pressure inside the home by ventilating too much air outdoors. The building will then “backdraft” to compensate for the air pressure imbalance by sucking air—including toxic gases—back inside.
This is usually caused by loose vent pipes, cracked metal, or corrosion. Your home could also have internal equipment damage, malfunctioning components, or damage inside a vent or chimney.
If you already have home center type CO detectors, that’s a good start, but probably not enough. You see, most retail models sound the alarm only when CO levels already are high enough to bring about common symptoms of CO poisoning like dizziness, nausea, headache, and shortness of breath.
That’s why we urge you to contact Optimum Air about our hard-wired, low-level CO detectors. As their name suggests, these reliable watch guards sound the alarm even at very low emission levels of carbon monoxide gas. Plus, with multiple detectors installed around your home, when one alarm sounds, it triggers the alarm in all the other detectors so your entire family is alerted to the problem very early on.
To learn more or to schedule installation, contact Optimum Air today – working hard to help keep you safe and comfortable in your own home.