There’s nothing quite like relaxing in a cool air conditioned home, especially when it’s blisteringly hot outdoors.
Still, constant comfort can cost a pretty penny, especially if yours is an older AC system that has not been faithfully maintained. So first, we encourage you to have it professionally cleaned and inspected. That alone will help lower your electricity bills. But if you want to save even more money, then you’ll also want to follow this advice from our home cooling professionals:
Don’t Get Overheated
- Drink plenty of water and, if you can’t avoid outdoor strenuous activity, drink an electrolyte to prevent dehydration.
- Wear clothes made of natural fabrics like cotton, linen, or hemp.
- Soak your feet in a basin of cold water when time permits; at the very list, wash your face and forehead in cool water when you start to feel overheated.
- Eat lighter meals to help maintain a solid energy level.
Protect Yourself Indoors
- If time and schedule permit, switch some of your mid-day chores to first thing in the morning or after dusk when outdoor temperatures are cooler. Also, get in the habit of running your dishwasher and washing machine/dryer overnight.
- Keep those window treatments closed during the daylight hours, especially those attracting direct sunlight.
- Use fans – ceiling or otherwise – to help spread the cool air generated by your central AC system.
You can also do yourself and your AC system an enormous favor by checking – and cleaning or replacing as needed – your AC system filter at least every 60 days. The cleaner the filter, the more effective and energy efficient the system.
For the ultimate in AC preventative maintenance, contact Optimum Air today to request our multi-point AC system cleaning and inspection. It’s a service that should be performed once a year, even on newer models. Yes, you’ll save even more energy dollars, plus your system will run better and last longer.