Old Man Winter is here and while the days so far have been pretty mild, the temperatures have been flirting with the freezing mark, and it’s still only December.
If you haven’t already, it’s still not too late to do some around-the-house winterizing so you’re ready for the worst, and yet blissfully grateful if the worst never pans out as several reliable weather services are predicting for the winter of 2015-2016.
- Remove Your Window Air Conditioners. It may seem like a no-brainer, but you’d be surprised how many homeowners fail to do this one simple thing that can help reduce home heating costs. If you’re unable to remove it, cover it with a heavy-duty tarp for the season.
- Install Storm Doors. Storm doors help protect your home from the elements and offer an additional layer of insulation around entry points, and that means more warm air inside your home where you need it most.
- Caulk or Seal Gaps. Check for small cracks or gaps along window and door frames as well as around electrical outlets and light switches, and seal as necessary.
- Buy or Make a Draft Guard. Drafty doors can let a lot of warm air out during the winter months. Help keep the cold at bay with draft guards. They can be found in stores or online, and are also fairly easy to make yourself.
- Change the Direction of Your Ceiling Fan. In the summer months, a ceiling fan provides a nice, cooling, breeze. But in the colder months, running it on low in the opposite direction (clockwise), can actually help warm a room by pushing warm air down toward the center.
- Watch Your Thermostat. Lowering your thermostat by one or two degrees can save you money on your home heating costs while still keeping you comfortable. Also, a programmable thermostat can be set to coincide with your workday so that the heat is on when you need it, and off or lowered when you don’t.
You know what else saves you money on your home heating costs? A heating system that is professionally maintained once a year with a thorough cleaning and inspection. If that’s a service you’ve been prone to skipping or just haven’t gotten around to yet this winter season, then pick up the phone and call Optimum Air Co. for prompt scheduling and thoroughly reliable results. Greater comfort, reduced risk of repairs, and lower utility costs – there’s a lot to benefit when you make Optimum Air your partner in improved home comfort.