For many, adjusting to the colder months ahead can be quite a challenge. Simple tasks such as getting out of bed in the morning seem to take much more effort when it’s darker and colder.
And with more time spent inside surrounded by dry indoor air, keeping our skin from becoming itchy, flaky, and even cracked can feel like a losing battle. Add in pre-existing skin conditions such as eczema or psoriasis, and the next few months can be down-right unbearable.
Luckily, there are steps you can take to minimize the damage that the cold weather months can do to your skin. Here are 8 tips to keep your skin looking and feeling great all season long.
1. Keep your skin hydrated from the inside out by drinking plenty of water. And don’t forget to add a glass for every caffeinated or alcoholic beverage you consume.
2. Avoid taking long, hot baths or showers. Hot water actually strips your skin of its moisture, so keep the bath or shower to 10 minutes or less.
3. Pat your skin dry after bathing and apply a good moisturizer while your skin is still slightly damp.
4. Choose moisturizing skin care products that don’t contain any drying ingredients like alcohol or fragrances.
5. Choose loose, breathable clothing made of soft fabrics like cotton instead of itchy wool or polyester.
6. Replace much needed moisture in the air by running a humidifier.
7. Cure dry, cracked heels by exfoliating with a pumice stone once a week and applying a thick moisturizer. Better yet, lotion up before bed and put on a pair of cotton sucks to trap that moisture while you sleep.
8. Apply a broad spectrum sunscreen before heading outside. The sun can still do a number on your skin, even though it’s far from beach weather.
Still, you can get rid of dry indoor air altogether with a whole-house humidity control system from Optimum Air. That way, you can maintain a healthy level of relative humidity all year long, which most experts agree is between 30% and 50%. Which means you’ll enjoy added moisture in the air during the winter, and lower humidity come summertime. Contact us today for more information and free new system quote.