The fall and winter seem to have a second name – flu season.
In fact, the only apparent difference from one year to the next is the extent of the outbreak. But here’s what doesn’t change: the several ways you can help keep the flu away from your door.
- Get Vaccinated – This is the single most effective way to block the flu, and it applies to anyone over 6 months old who hasn’t had a previous bad reaction or doesn’t have egg or mercury allergies.
- Cover Your Nose & Mouth – Whether it’s a cold or allergies that are ailing you, cover nose and mouth every time you feel a cough or sneeze coming on. Use a tissue, not your sleeve, and throw that tissue away after just a single use.
- Avoid Touching Your Eyes, Nose & Mouth – Flu germs can live up to eight hours on hard surfaces. That’s why it’s so easy to pick up flu germs without knowing it. So, what happens if you touch an infected doorknob, light switch, or remote-control device, and then touch your eyes, nose or mouth with the same hand? The outcome might turn out in your favor, but it might not.
- Wash Your Hands Often – Nothing like warm water and soap to wash those flu germs away. Also, anytime you’re in a store, doctor’s office, or anywhere else outside your home where a hand sanitizer is available, use it! It’s for your own protection.
- Limit Contact with Ill Family Members – If your child has the flu, keep him or her at home until conditions approve. While at home, do your best to keep a safe distance from any infected member of your family – two sick people are definitely not better than one.
- Keep Your House Clean – Since flu germs can flourish on any item you touch, it’s wise to clean, and clean often. Just as important is to keep your cleaning items flu-free. Here’s one solid tip: microwave your sponge for 60 seconds before using it.
- Live a Healthy Lifestyle – We may sound like your mother here, but let’s give her credit where it’s due. To help keep yourself and those around you flu-free, get plenty of rest, eat well, drink lots of fluids, and keep yourself active.
Here at Optimum Air, we ready to join you in the fight against your personal battle against the flu. How? By installing a whole-house air filtration system to rid your home of airborne pollutants, include flu viruses and bacteria. We offer other air quality solutions, too, so contact us today for a free in-home consultation and new air quality system quote.