An accident or injury can happen to anyone, anywhere, at any time. But did you know that your home can actually be one of the most dangerous places you’re likely to encounter? And while many household hazards are quite obvious, like that toy car left on the stairs or sharp knife on the counter, others are not so easily identified.
So stay informed and keep your family safe from harm by identifying and preventing these 5 hidden dangers from your home.
- Mold – Since mold can cause severe respiratory issues, it’s important to use a vent fan or open a window anytime someone takes a bath or shower. You also want to clean up right away after liquid spills and leaks while doing your best to keep the relative humidity inside your home between 30 and 50%.
- Carbon Monoxide – Furnaces, dryers, hot water heaters and any other gas appliances give off carbon monoxide. If not vented properly, these fuel burning appliances can emit CO fumes into your living spaces where they can build up and cause sickness and even death. To help alert all family members to a CO leak, we recommend installing hardwired CO detectors that are monitored by a home security company for the ultimate in peace of mind.
- Radon – The second leading cause of lung cancer in the United States, radon is a radioactive gas that is released when uranium naturally breaks down in soil, rocks, and water. Unfortunately, it becomes a health hazard when trapped in the home. Have your home tested from radon every two yours or after any renovation.
- Pesticides – Even if you don’t treat your lawn with pesticides, chances are they are still in your home. Moth balls, bug spray, and flee shampoo all contain hazardous chemicals. They can even be found in building and decorating materials like wallpaper and pressure-treated wood.
- Bacteria – Even the cleanest homes harbor bacteria. It arrives on your produce, meat, and even your hands, and can cause severe gastrointestinal illness, especially in children and the elderly. Clean counters, doorknobs, light switches and all other high-traffic areas regularly and always wash your hands thoroughly after handling raw meat.
How can we help? At Optimum Air, we are indoor air quality specialists offering you a number of effective means to keep your family from harm. With a whole-house air filtration system, for example, more than 99% of airborne pollutants like pesticides, dust mites, bacteria, and more are trapped by the system’s filter while your home heating or cooling system fan is operating. Call us for details on this and other indoor air quality solutions for your home.